A Taste Of Mississippi Masala
Interracial And Intercultural Marriage: African American Man And Fiji Indian Woman
Meet Derrick and Shabina, who is the founder of @browngirlriseup. Derrick is African American, and he was born in Mississippi, USA. Shabina is a Fiji Indian, and she was born in Melbourne, Australia. They usually reside in Melbourne, Australia, but currently, they live in Koh Samui, Thailand.
How They Met
Derrick and Shabina met in Las Vegas, NV, while Shabina was vacationing around the USA.
How Long Have They Been Together
They have been together for seven years and married for one year (they had one small ceremony last year, the rest have been postponed).
How Was Meeting Derrick’s Parents For The First Time
How Was Meeting Shabina’s Parents For The First Time
Yes! Derrick and Shabina stay in contact with both in-laws. They regularly hang out with Shabina’s parents, and they keep in touch with Derrick’s parents via the phone since they are overseas.
What Obstacles Have They Encountered As A Couple And How Have They Overcome Them
Living in diﬀerent countries and then moving abroad was a challenge for them. Since they met in Las Vegas, NV while Shabina was on vacation in the USA, it was surreal for both of them to even think about having a long-distance relationship with someone so far away. However, they pushed through, and their relationship unfolded organically.
The Wedding Tips They Wish They Knew Beforehand
- Always follow your intuition.
- A wedding day is a wedding day.
- A marriage is a lifetime commitment you have with your partner.
- Save all the fancy hype for yourselves and invest in each other instead!
Their Top Tips To An Interracial and Intercultural Relationship
- Learn about each other’s cultures and be open-minded.
- Have the diﬃcult conversations about topics that make you feel uncomfortable.
- Enjoy the ride, it’s deﬁnitely all worth it!
- Love is the key, no matter what you go through.
- Keep having fun.
- Life is too short to be put in a box.
What They Love About Being In An Interracial and Intercultural Marriage
Being in an interracial and intercultural marriage is an entirely diﬀerent experience, it is exciting! They get to learn about and celebrate each other’s cultures: from the variations in food to knowledge and wisdom, and the life stories. Plus, although they were both raised in Western countries, their roots belong in the East, and they have opportunities to experience both.
What They Are Still Learning As An Interracial And Intercultural Couple
- It is okay for others not to understand them.
- They are both learning something new about each other every day.
- They have the power to break generational cycles, and they are constantly working on themselves for the next generation they create.
What Else They Want To Share To Help Others Reading This
- Always be yourself and be brave!
- You might feel alone and question yourself, stay real with yourself at all times, and with each other.
- Follow your heart.
- Remain conﬁdent with your decisions.
- Step outside of your comfort zones.
- Connect with others that have had similar experiences for support.
- Fearing the unknown is no excuse to stop living life. We get this one chance, make it your best!
Are you following us at www.growingupgupta.com yet? Find us on Instagram and Pinterest @growingupguptas and on Twitter @growingupgupta, Facebook @growingupguptablog.
Pin this post for later here!
This post contains affiliate links that support the operation of this blog!